At 07:11 AM 6/21/02 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I think you were right about that, Chris.  I cleared any trace of the 
>group name out of Netscape's data files and the permissions now seem to be 
>behaving properly.  However, the group no longer appears in the list of 
>groups that can be subscribed to in my newsreader.  Which means that for 
>someone to subscribe to it, they would have explicity enter the URL for 
>the group.
>
>This is an acceptable workaround, I guess, but ideally, I would like the 
>protected group names to appear on the list with all of the others, and 
>only prompt for username/password if the user clicks "Subscribe."  Is this 
>something I can fix in the access.conf?  Or is this just a function of my 
>browser?
>
>Thanks for all of your help thus far...


Yes, add to dnews.conf
         auth_showprot true

Basically this is a security choice, some people want secret groups invisible
and others want them visible for exactly the reasons you just outlined.

                 ChrisP.



>Support AK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I don't think your problem is with the dnews access rules. (But I could be
> >
> >wrong)
> >I think you actually have it correct already, the user dialogue appears 
> because
> >you previously had temp.private listed as a group in your client, try
> >another client

------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe send to [EMAIL PROTECTED] a message
containing a single line, unsubscribe

Problems with:
  Incoming feed problems:  http://netwinsite.com/dnews/feedsin.htm
  Access rule problems:    http://netwinsite.com/dnews/access.htm
  General FAQ:              http://netwinsite.com/dnews/faq.htm


Reply via email to