On Fri, 2015-02-27 at 18:13 +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 01:56:56PM +0000, Matthew Melton wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > > Just to support my point, Debian has a great logo, but this is what is
> > > currently happening to the users of Jessie, thanks to the
> > > systemd-nonsense:
> > >
> > > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/02/msg00013.html
> >

> Well, I still find it hard to believe that a modern Unix OS might be
> stuck at boot because I forgot to connect an ethernet cable... This is
> the essence of the systemd-nonsense. In that case it was "just" a
> laptop, but can you imagine something similar happening on a
> production server? Who is going to pay for the downtime that these
> "little glitches" are going to cause? How much should systemd damage

With respect to all, I think that a measure of objectivity is called for
here.  I think that because personality clashes that Debian's entire
systemd discussion has lost any sense of reality long ago.  With no
offense or judgment intended, I'd rather not see Debian's mud at our
door.  The reason we left was to get away from it.  Devuan does not need
to justify its own existence.

The reality is that Linux is a mean-spirited, ugly camel with the number
of humps chosen by committee.  For all of that, it is rather endearing -
because you can make of it what you will. No one can charge you in court
or judge less of your character for doing your own thing.

I've had Debian, RedHat, and just about every major distribution grace
my system at some point.  With every single one of them, without
exception, has had issues of some kind or another.  Some of which were
major showstoppers.  Some didn't even boot, others were so poorly
assembled that you'd think the packagers were drunken monkeys.

All of this started long before systemd was ever created, and will
certainly be around long after systemd is forgotten.

t.j.