On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 12:16:52AM -0600, T.J. Duchene wrote:

> On 03/01/2015 05:56 PM, Tor Myklebust wrote:
> >
> >The perl-base package pre-depends on libc6 and dpkg.  And nothing else.
> I was not referring to all the software that depends on them when
> using Debian/Devuan.  I've never believed that they make good choice
> for a required component.

Even more heavily used in Deban is the shell.  Would you care to advise
its abolition?

> Frankly, I've also believe that
> interpreted languages should never be used for anything other than a
> teaching tool.

There's one huge advantage of interpreted languages:  The code you see in
the editor *is* the code you are running.  No compiler to leave an
obsolete executable around that you might be executing instead.

This is a security issue.

>    If you must use something like that, at least use
> something that supports JIT to native code.

I view JIT as a form of interpretation.  That's a question of CPU
efficency, which in a lot of cases (some mentioned in this thread)
does not matter.

When it comes to code that's run often, I prefer statically typed
languages.  A lot of bugs are caught by the compiler, many of them
bugs that evade the test suite.

It's possible to have a statically-typed intepreter, but such things
are scarce.

-- hendrik