On Friday, August 07, 2015 06:13:10 PM Gregory Nowak wrote:

> I actually don't mind dropping gnome. It does depend on systemd by
> defacto, and is bulky. I did try xfce in a fresh install of debian
> jessie, and found it gave me speech when I rebooted after the
> install.

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the speech generation.

> It also is more snappy than gnome, and felt more like gnome2
> for me, which I didn't mind. This gives me hope that I should find
> xfce useable in devuan.

Since Debian Jessie uses an older version of XFCE, you may have a few glitches
in the way things work.  Multi-monitor setups can have problems.  Video
playback may experience visual tearing.

If you have an Nvidia or AMD card, you can use the proprietary video driver as
it can counteract many of these problems.  Starting with XFCE 4.12, they fixed
the vsync problems.

> The only thing I'm not sure about is the slim login manager. I was able to
> get speech in the graphical login manager debian jessie provides when
> installing the xfce task, but I didn't investigate what that manager
> is.

I would guess lightdm by default?

T.J.