Starting now, it's probably more necessary than it was 10, 15, 20 years ago. In my entire time in IT, I can count all the people I've ever meet that were born and raised in the U.S.* and with an IT degree on one hand. I've meet plenty with all sorts of other degrees: geology, philosophy, medical, you name it. In nearly 20 years I've only ever had one company tell me that a degree was an absolute requirement for working there. That was this year, so things may be changing.

I don't have any experience with it, but I'd imagine that if you're looking to do something like actually design new hardware, you'd have to have a degree unless you're going to go entrepreneurial.

* If you're looking to work on an H1B or similar, I suspect a degree is a hard requirement.