On 21/01/16 21:03, Didier Kryn wrote:
Le 21/01/2016 05:57, Simon Wise a écrit :
On 19/01/16 04:59, Steve Litt wrote:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:31:43 +1100
Simon Wise<simonzw...@gmail.com> wrote:

But recently discovered that xfce4-terminal loses critical
functionality without a session dbus running (it no longer connects
to the cut buffer and clipboard ... which really destroys its
functionality). I dropped it in favour of roxterminal which is very
similar, based on the same engine I believe, but it does the cut
buffer and clipboard etc directly, as it should.

Hi Simon,

Thanks to your recommendation, I just started using roxterm. What a
breath of fresh air! Tabbed. Multiple profiles mean all sorts of
different terminals for different needs. No unholy union to a "desktop
environment" other than the rox filemanager system.

they are independent, I think ... though perhaps some D&D might be a
bit cleaner between them??? they both just interact with X and allow
extensive file-based configuration if you want to use it. Last time I
tried both worked fine just in X alone, no other management.

I need several different types of terminal emulators for several
different types of jobs. From now on I'm using roxterm instead of
xfce4-terminal for all new construction.

"profiles" can easily be invoked on CL if you want distinctive
appearance to indicate different tasks.

Simon

I installed roxterm and rox-filer. Both are just nice behaving. roxterm doesn't
seem to differ in apearence, configurability or behaviour, from xfce4-terminal
or gnome-terminal.

the main reason I use it instead is that xfce-terminal depends on a desktop session, dbus etc to function properly while roxterm does not.

The second advantage for me (since I use colours to indicate some tasks) is the profile/theme configuration is easier to deal with and file based.

rox-filer is nice looking, but it needs some configuration. Here are the two
waek points I noticed

- there is absolutely no application defined by default for any file type; you
must define them all - this is a miss in the packaging.

Here it has defaults .... I think via the MIME system?? but maybe this depends on something else being installed? There certainly should be defaults.

- there isn't a menu of possible applications for a given file type. I like to
be able to open an image with either a simple viewer or with Gimp to edit it.

Very easy to add any that you wish, there is a folder of links for each file type, and another that fills the 'send to..' menu for every file type.

"Customise Menu.." takes you there, and gives a brief explanation.

And here are some features I like:

- If you left-click with the shift key pressed, you always open the file with
the application you have defined for raw text. This allows to edit an html file
instead of browsing it.

- files are open on single click (double click in Thunar), though this is a
personal preference.

configurable in 'Options'

Didier