On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 05:57:45PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> I heard that M$ is forcing the laptop makers to enable TPM, and
> prevent it from being disabled, else they aren't allowed to install
> windows. Having a choice of OS to install is great, but doesn't TPM
> mean that GNU/Linux can't be installed because TPM won't recognize its
> signature, if it is signed in the first place? So, getting a machine
> without windows on it is all well and good, but what about the issue
> of disabling TPM, or is that not an issue?

Last I heard was that Microsoft, after requiring it to be possible to
disable secure boot to get Windows certifiication, has dropped that
requirement.  I haven't heard that they now require it to stay on.

But there have been machines sold where you cannot turn it off and
can only install a Linux distros that Microsoft has signed, which I
believe are Redhat and Ubuntu -- for me a reason to avoid those
distros.

The fact that no one that sells computers in retail stores seems to
even understand the question about TPM worried me.  THe mere existence
of these recalcitrant machines provides an overwhelming anount ot FUD
into computer purchases.  Even having Ubuntu preinstalled doesn't
mitigate it.

-- hendrik