Edward Bartolo <edb...@gmail.com> writes:
> System initialisation is NO religiously enshrined mystery that is
> highly claimed to be beyond human comprehension.

Was this supposed to have any relation to the text I wrote? If so, I'm
oblivious to it. As I tried to describe below, system initialization is
really not complicated per se. systemd is complicated because everything
done by these people ends up being a complicated solution to a simple
problem, I suggest pondering the deep wisdom in Hoare's

        There are two ways to construct a software design. One is to
        make it so simple that it has obviously no bugs and the other to
        make it so complicated that it has no obvious bugs.

here.

> I can understand the position help by anyone that an init is so
> central to an OS that it must be coded scrupulously. And, given time,
> I think, I will eventually come back with something that can be said
> to be a functional and stable init.

Just like string libraries, init replacements are classic
rites-de-passage programming: Sooner or later, everybody ends up doing
one. I surely did. I wouldn't do this again, however, as the practical
value didn't justify the effort: I'm maintaining a sysvinit-fork because
that's good enough to build on and simple enough to adapt it to my needs
without undue effort.

> My current task if of trapping system wide events like requests for
> shutdown and reboot. My init will be used to call various scripts or
> executables depending on the type of event.

These aren't really "system-wide events", except as seen at a very abstract
level. There's a shutdown command which is part of the sysvinit package
whose purpose is to send a command to init to tell it to go to a certain
runlevel, runlevel 6 meaning reboot and runlevel 0 system halt. This is
passed to the configured runlevel change command (usually
/etc/init.d/rc) which executes the kill scripts in the corresponding
runlevel directory (/etc/rc0.d or /etc/rc6.d). The final script in
either directory start another command (halt or reboot) which
ultimatively triggers a reboot system call (=> reboot(2)) causing the
kernel to initiate a system reboot or poweroff.