On Sat, 31 Dec 2016 00:06:04 +0000
KatolaZ <kato...@freaknet.org> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> you might remember that a few weeks ago we discussed the possibility
> of removing all the cluttering from network configuration tools, to
> the point that someone (Steve Litt, I believe) even suggested that a
> few lines of shell code around a well-timed "iwlist scan | grep ESSID"
> could be sufficient in most of the cases.
>
> You might also remember that I mostly disagree with that extreme
> simplification, but I nevertheless gave it a try, and the result is
> "setnet.sh":
>
>   http://kalos.mine.nu/setnet/

Very, very, very nice!

At first I got:
/usr/local/bin/setnet.sh: line 1020: ${TMPFILE}: ambiguous redirect

Line 1020 is the following:

TMPFILE=`(tempfile) 2>/dev/null` || tempfile=/tmp/setnet_$$

So I added the following lines below it:

TMPFILE='/tmp/setnet.tmp'
echo "diatop: TMPFILE IS *$TMPFILE*."

After the following strongarm, the program ran nicely. So, at least
with my shell (dash, I believe), the following line produced an empty
string:

TMPFILE=`(tempfile) 2>/dev/null` || tempfile=/tmp/setnet_$$

This looks *very* promising.

Do you think there will come a time when this can be run without root
rights? Perhaps by having a special group with write rights to
wpa_supplicant.conf?

I'm completely sick of all the gymnastics I have to do on my laptops to
get wifi working at random locations, and will soon put it on all my
laptops. Including one laptop so buggy you need to disable the wired
ethernet to get wifi to work (yes, I'll keep you apprised of that one.)

If this is even half what I hope it to be, I'll publicize it far and
wide on Troubleshooters.Com. This is what software should be!

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21