Simon Hobson writes:
For the rest of us, if we have no DNS servers in resolv.conf then we expect the system to respect that and not do DNS resolution. That is the **ONLY** correct behaviour.

What is absolutely, 100%, not acceptable behaviour is what's been done - to silently do something that no sane admin would expect, and many people have objections to doing. Even worse is when there isn't a mechanism for turning this off.

You can also make a similar argument that if the software requests DNS lookups and nothing's been firewalled, then the **ONLY** correct behaviour is to fulfil the request.

There is a contradiction here. An operation is requested and configured to be available in the firewall, but configuration blocks it elsewhere. Calling any particular behaviour a 100% solution is IMO naïve.

Arnt