Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> writes:
> On Tue, 3 Jan 2017 11:06:53 +0100
> Jaromil <jaro...@dyne.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2017, Jaromil wrote:
>>
>> > what a pity Debian has switched to Google's DNS by default.
>>
>> for the record and the sake of historical correctness:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761658
>>
>> there is however an issue we need to look at for Devuan: it seems the
>> default dns resolver for our distribution is also back to 8.8.8.8, at
>> least someone on irc backfired to this thread with this claim.
>
> What's wrong with 8.8.8.8?

Why would I want to send a list of all web sites I visit to an
advertising company providing a 'free' service who wants to have this
information because it's valuable business data?

> It's Google's public DNS, and for me, it always works.

I'm running a caching resolver locally because that "always works"
(unless blocked by the ISP which may become mandatory in the UK 'soon'
...), even if an out-of-the-ordinary cache flush is called for because
of a 'recent' DNS information change.