On Mon, Feb 06, 2017 at 11:18:41AM +0100, Jochen Fahrner wrote:
> Am 06.02.2017 um 09:22 schrieb KatolaZ:
> > Like, for the same reason why you use packages compiled for amd64 with
> > your shiny Intel i5, despite you could have used packages compiled for
> > an i486 back in 1994? :)
> >

> That's exactly the point. Nobody comes up with the idea to compile
> packages for the Intel platform only for the newest shiny Corie i7. So
> why do Devuan compile for ARMv7?
>
> Raspbian made the decision to divide into architecture "armel" (PI 1A)
> and "armhf" (PI 1B and later). So Devuan should do the same. If not, it
> comes to problems like mine: migrating from Raspbian Jessie with
> architecture "armhf" ends in segmentation faults on many PIs.

According to your reasoning then , since Raspbian decided to go for
systemd, Devuan should also do the same, right? :) And what happens if
Arch decides to move to a BSD kernel? Shall Devuan move there as well?

The real problem is that the "armhf" used in Raspbian is not a proper
armhf, but an armv6+VFP2. And it is *not* armhf since by armhf we (in
the De??an world) normally indicate armv7:

  https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/

And you will notice it immediately if you start using the vanilla
Debian armhf release on your rpi, since Debian's armhf is a proper
armv7 build. You will get in fact the same segfaults you get with the
Devuan repos.

The mistake was done by Raspbian, when they used "armhf" to indicate a
port that is different from what "armhf" really means in Debian. The
fact that they made a mistake does not mean that it should be
perpetrated down for generations, IMHO.

My2Cents

KatolaZ