On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 13:34:50 -0500
Hendrik Boom <hend...@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> And speaking of bookmarks, each browser seems to jealously hang on to
> its bookmarks, unless perhaps another browser manages to sneak in
> like a thief and import them.  Is this the way browsers cement their
> grip on users?  Isn't there any way of setting up bookmarks
> so that multiple browsers and other tools can use them?

Yes.

Using a very simple tab-indented outline that I maintain with
VimOutliner adorned Vim, plus a conversion app, I have hundreds of
bookmarks, organized just the way I want them. If I want to change the
organization, I do some cutting and pasting on my outline and
recompile. Every browser I use has a link called "littlinks", and
clicking it brings up my link hierarchy. In the past I've even tweaked
my desktop's Apache so any computer within the house could pull up my
links page at http://192.168.100.2/littlinks. On any browser, including
elinks.

I did this for the exact reason you state: To keep my bookmarks from
being held hostage by particular software.

If a lot of you want this, I'll slap a free software license on it and
release it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive