On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 11:10:11AM +0200, Florian Zieboll wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:04:18 -0400
> Héctor A. Abreu <habre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > I am trying to find out why I'm getting an error when trying to add a
> > PPA repository in Devuan Jessie, but not getting the same error in
> > Debian Jessie. It's just for a program called "Hollywood
> > Technodrama". I run the same command for both distros:
> >
> > ~$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:hollywood/ppa
>

> It seems that the software-properties-common package doesn't know about
> Devuan yet. As apt-add-repository just adds a new entry to the
> sources.list under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/, the easiest workaround
> would be to copy the newly created item from your Debian Jessie system
> to the Devuan system.
>
> libre Grüße,
>
> Florian

Thank you for your response, Florian.

The entry that apt-add-repository creates in Debian Jessie is
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/hollywood-ppa-jessie.list , which content is:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/hollywood/ppa/ubuntu jessie main
# deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/hollywood/ppa/ubuntu jessie main

Devuan Jessie comes with /etc/apt/sources.list.d/devuan.list and I didn't touch
it. I just added the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/hollywood-ppa-jessie.list
from my Debian Jessie installation. When I run sudo aptitude update in my
Devuan Jessie system just like I successfuly did on my Debian Jessie system,
the messages I get in the console include the following errors:

Err http://ppa.launchpad.net jessie/main i386 Packages

  404  Not Found

Ign http://us.mirror.devuan.org jessie-updates/non-free Translation-en
Descargados 21.8 MB en 41s (526 kB/s)
W: Se produjo un fallo al descargar
http://ppa.launchpad.net/hollywood/ppa/ubuntu/dists/jessie/main/binary-i386/Packages:
 404  Not Found
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.
E: No se pudo reconstruir el almacén de paquetes

Estado actual: 6 actualizados [+1].

When I visit http://ppa.launchpad.net/hollywood/ppa/ubuntu/dists/ I notice that
the "jessie" folder is not included but the other distros are included. I
thought that it could explain the "404  Not Found" error that I am getting in
Devuan, but I still don't understand why Debian will successfully add the PPA
and Devuan won't.

If anyone knows another possible workaround or approach I would really
appreciate it. I will do further research and will let the list know if I find
something that may help others with the same problem.

Regards,

--
Héctor A. Abreu