On Tuesday 13 June 2017 08:19:54 Jaromil wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2017, Antony Stone wrote:
> > So, are Gnome and KDE currently still "known to suffer from some glitches
> > due to the lack of systemd" (and if so, are these documented anywhere)?
> >
> > Or can these be expected to work as well as XFCE, and as well as Debian
> > Jessie would provide them?
>
> in brief I think we can pretty much anticipate that KDE will work
> great on future Devuan distributions, also according to recent tests
> made by some enthusiastic members of our community using Plasma on
> ASCII.

Okay, thanks for the confirmation.

> but not GNOME! As with systemd, we are confident this won't hinder
> user's freedom of choice since one can always go use Ubuntu or Debian
> which are offering that.

So, you're saying that if you want Gnome, you have to use systemd - no way
round that?

> as we managed to reach these goals now we'll move forward making our
> distro as universal as possible, hence supporting all DEs that can
> work without systemd.

Is there a short answer (or can you point me at docs) to the question "what
makes a DE dependent on systemd?"

Thanks for responding (now that I found the right list to ask on).

Antony.

--
René Descartes walks in to a bar.
The barman asks him "Do you want a drink?"

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.