On Saturday 05 August 2017 at 11:28:02, Weaver wrote:

> Greetings.
> Currently running Debian SID, with separate /, swap, and /home
> partitions.
> I don't suppose switching is as easy as simply replacing the / partition
> with a new install, preserving the old data?

Depends what you mean by "replacing with a new install".

If you mean "install Devuan on a new partition, change grub and fstab to mount
that partition under /, and then reboot", then all your data in /home will be
as it was, certainly - no problems there - however you'll need to reconfigure
anything/everything you had in /etc and so on.

Personally I would take a backup of / and then try doing a dist-upgrade on it;
if that works you've kept all your application configs etc; if it almost works
you might be able to do a bit of manual hacking to sort out a small number of
packages which didn't quite understand what was happening to them; if it
really doesn't work then you still have your backup and can revert to that and
think again.

Please let us know what you do and how it goes.

Welcome to Devuan :)

Antony.

--
"It is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the sense of
achievement you get from getting them to work at all. In other words - and

 - Douglas Noel Adams

                                                   Please reply to the list;
                                                         please *don't* CC me.