I prefer using a VDE setup, since that lets me run qemu as user (i.e. not root), and it's easy to link up VM's across hosts with "virtual cables" over ssh. My qemu parameters are like this:

    -net nic,macaddr=02:aa:bb:cc:dd:02
    -net vde,sock=/tmp/vde.ctl

On the host, I have a vde_switch for /tmp/vde.ctl to a tap, owned by the user. Plus of course routing and such; the tap set up needs to be
done as root.

You can probably run a user qemo directly to a tap, but then you'll need separate taps for each VM. The VDE (vde2) method performs quite well, and lets me have several VM's through the same tap.

Ralph.