On 08/11/2017 10:43 AM, Joachim Fahrner wrote:
Linux uses all available more for caching of filesystems. When copying large files to slow network filesystems (nfs, smb, sshfs, davfs) it takes a long time until such allocated memory becomes free. When these network filesystems saturate memory linux becomes very unresponsive. It can take minutes to start applications.

Is there a way to limit memory usage of network filesystems?

I'm not sure if there is a way to limit cache usage by network filesystems specifically. The best resource I've seen on Linux using memory to cache filesystems is here:

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/index.html

If the cache truly is conflicting with your applications, the notes at the bottom of this page about /proc/sys/vm/swappiness may help:

http://www.linuxatemyram.com/play.html

Patrick