On 08/16/2017 02:34 PM, Edward Bartolo wrote:
[snip]
> I would prepare such a lecture by making a great effort to be as
> objective as possible. Therefore, my advice is to stick to facts.
[snip]

Definitely stay focused exclusively on documented facts.  The
presentation will be to easy to derail otherwise.

One point that will come up will be the sad situation where many distros
now have systemd.  Often this is used in the form of a logical fallacy
[1] claiming ubiquity is somehow the result of popularity.

What really happened was quite different because of the hierarchy of
dependencies stemming from core distros like Debian.   These two charts
makes it really clear how the decisions from Debian and Fedora cascaded
outward:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

 https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/DebianFamilyTree1210.svg

For example, because Debian switched Ubuntu had to also because it had
no choice.  And then Linux Mint went along because Ubuntu did so and
they depend on it for their upstream.

Even within Debian, it ended on being one single person who made the
call to deploy systemd.  Look at the ranking for the official tallies:

 https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2014/02/msg00402.html

He made the decision and it cascaded down to well over 300 derivatives:

https://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Debian&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&package=All&rolling=All&isosize=All&netinstall=All&language=All&defaultinit=All&status=All#simple

tldr; have extra slides ready to debunk some of the common system
talking points that will come up in the questions at the end, but don't
use the slides in the actual presentation

Regards,
Lars

[1] https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum