On 07/11/17 16:50, Klaus Ethgen wrote:

If you have an seperate /usr (what is not supported by the ignorance of
systemd) and that /usr on lvm and a kernel with no initrd (what does not
exist in the ignorance of systemd), then you are doomed and your system
will not boot anymore.
What does this have to do with systemd?
Well, Debian deprecated a separate /usr as systemd is not working good
with a separate /usr.

They actually deprecated it as many things were not working with a separate /usr.  systemd has no more or less problems than anything else that uses things on /usr.

I come from a Unix background -- separate /usr was deprecated in the 1990's with SVR4.2, I'm kind of amazed it took Linux so long to catch up.

In this particular case it's a bit irritating, it could be fixed by moving liblz4 to /lib or by not linking the various lvm2 binaries against libsystemd.

Presumably devuan and debian will have differing ideas of how and whether this should be fixed.  :-)