On Tue, 7 Nov 2017 at 17:50:27 +0100
John Hughes <j...@atlantech.com> wrote:

> On 07/11/17 17:41, dev wrote:

>>> Personally I have a / on a lvm2 volume.  Works OK for me, I see no loss
>>> in flexibility.
>> Until a user fills up their home directory with kitten gifs and you can
>> no longer login because syslog has no space to write to /var.
>
> Neither /home not /var are on /, for obvious reasons.  / is for
> mostly-static things that are owned by the OS or the admin.
>
> The separation of / and /usr is a relic of really, really tiny disk sizes.

  This is just a poor excuse, as there are other good reasons to have /usr on
a separate partition.  Reasons to have /usr on it's own partition include
having:

1) a different filesystems between / and /usr
2) different mount options (like ro)
3) / local and /usr on a shared NFS mount
4) sharing /usr between several installs of the same OS (e.g. to allow to
boot out of a USB stick/disk but having the internal /usr available)
5) / static, /usr on LVM or RAID

  The "my own PC has been like this so many years" reasoning is a very poor
justification for a design decision that impacts users that run their
systems in the most diverse scenarios and environments, just like the "this
(bad) decision was made many years ago" one.

Alessandro