On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 16:50:22 +0100
Didier Kryn <k...@in2p3.fr> wrote:

> Le 15/11/2017 à 16:21, KatolaZ a écrit :

> >> Which seems pretty reasonable to me.
> >>

> > So it would be better if Sam Protsenko offered to help the Debian
> > maintainer in including and testing the scripts for sysvinit.
> >
>      Apparently Kahn Gillmor requires more: he requires the
> commitment of a person as a quasi-maintainer to do the job of
> maintaining the init scripts for the package on the long term. This
> means Debian maintainers are no longer in charge of maintaining init
> files other than systemd's. I doubt we could see one of these
> maintainers accept to maintain sysvinit scripts and ask the users to
> take care themself of maintaining systemd init files.
>
>      Didier

This situation is nothing unexpected. Many of us predicted in 2014 that
Debian would continue throwing down all the anti-anti-systemd
obstructionism they could muster. It would not be unreasonable to
expect that the time will come where most Debian packages will fail to
provide sysvinit scripts.

If/when this time comes, we have several alternatives:

1) Help the Debian maintainers, as several have suggested in this
thread.

2) Write our own sysvinit scripts, for Devuan only.

3) Write Process Supervisor scripts, and run daemons from a Process
Supervisor.

I personally don't like #1. The Debian maintainers are
obstructionists,  so I wouldn't help them: I wouldn't give them the
sweat off my W*(#RF(#*.

#2 is nice, helps give Devuan a unique brand, but IMHO making and
maintaining a good-for-all-setups sysvinit script is difficult and time
consuming. As a matter of fact, those horrible scripts necessary to
cover most cases, is what made people furious at sysvinit in the first
place: I don't think anyone cared about boot time or parallel
instantiation.

#3 is, in my opinion, practical. Any fool can write a run script with
environment variables: Even I can do it. In most cases, a daemon
doesn't care whether it's started by the main init system, or
indirectly by a supervisor started by the main init system. Like #2,
this helps give Devuan a unique brand. Also, this future-proofs us:
When Debian drags their feet in putting forth a sysvinit init script, a
Devuan volunteer can step forward with a supervisor run script. Over a
period of time, more and more daemons in Devuan could be run from a
single supervisor process.

So then the question becomes,  what supervisor? Runit? S6?
Daemontools-encore? Perp?

I'd rule out daemontools-encore for the simple reason that it can never
take on the entire role of init. For whatever reason, Perp is unknown,
with very little mindshare, so I'd temporarily rule that out. Runit and
s6 are both extremely well thought of, can both be turned into complete
init systems.

The combination of a sysvinit PID1 plus a spawned supervisor can make
Devuan capable of running lots of daemons abandoned by Debian, for
years to come.

SteveT

Steve Litt
November 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Just the Facts
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tjust