On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 10:12:51PM +0100, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

[cut]

> I do think that it is wise to replace SysVinit at some point or at least
> provide an alternative. I even agree with tech-ctte decision regarding
> replacing SysVinit, that is not the point. Systemd addressed a need. Yet it
> went to far, it is too many in one, attitude of at least some upstream
> developers appear to be toxic to me and so on… and it was not the only viable
> option… we all know the arguments, no need to repeat, …

We agree on the necessity of providing (optional) alternatives to
sysvinit. But this cannot mean just "put the packages in the repos and
the users will figure it out" [*]. For Devuan, providing alternatives
(like for instance OpenRC) means *supporting* the alternatives and
making sure that the users can select the one they like with the least
effort on their side. Otherwise the users could simply put together
their own LFS... :)

My2Cents

[*] Any reference is purely coincidental