On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 02:55:12PM +0100, J. Fahrner wrote:
> Am 2018-02-13 13:50, schrieb Irrwahn:
> >That message can safely be ignored.
> >
> >This is caused by the dbus startup from script(s) /etc/X11/Xsession.d/ .
> >It basically means that dbus did not find systemd upon launch, which is
> >to be expected on a Devuan system that by definition comes w/o systemd.
>
> I know most scripts and config files come from Debian, and the Devuan devs
> don't want to touch every package containing such systemd directives. But
> wouldn't it be nice to have a patch-script, which locates all known files
> containing "systemd" and patches them to remove this systemd stuff after
> installation?

I genuinely don't understand how can something be harmful if it relies
on a software that is not running, is not even installed, and cannot
be installed ever. But yet, people keep complaining about "systemd
stuff" lingering around in their hard disks :\

Again, this "systemd stuff" amounts to actions that are aiming at
determining if systemd is present or not, or to scripts that can be
run only by a working systemd installation. If you use only Devuan
repos, systemd *cannot* be present anywhere in your system, cannot be
installed, cannot run, cannot talk with any other software, cannot run
any external script, and cannot do any harm at all.

Unless you really believe in *ghosts*, and accept as an act of faith
(i.e., something that does not need a logical and technological
explanation) that when a software makes a dbus call on your laptop,
trying to see if systemd is running by any chance, it can indeed
remotely "activate" a systemd daemon running on another machine, in
another country, and spy over your shoulders... o_O

Now, if we had infinite resources and a larger number of developers,
we could also consider removing even the *totally* *harmless* scripts
that contain the word "systemd" anywhere. But seriously, to what
avail?

If I had more time to dedicate to Devuan, I would rather spend 1% of
the time needed to remove *totally* *harmless* "systemd stuff" to work
on supporting other alternative init/monitor systems, alternative
cgroup management utils, etc. This would really add to freedom and
diversity, in a concrete way.

My2Cents

KatolaZ