Since upgrading from Debian Wheezy to Devuan Jessie, I have been having
problems with USB drives, unable to mount them unless as root, and seeing
strange things in Pcmanfm, like when connecting a drive that has been used as
and installation medium (dd if=xxx.iso of=/dev/sdi) later re-formatted with
gparted, I get two entries in the places list of Pcmanfm, one as sdi which,
when clicked on, shows me the former content of the drive, and when I choose
sdi1 shows me the new content.

Lates madness is as follows:

root@ron:/home/ron # df
<snip>
/dev/sdi1       7.3G  207M  6.7G   3%
/media/773613f4-0e37-4c4b-9a6c-4facc813fbcc

root@ron:/home/ron # fdisk -l /dev/sdi
Disk /dev/sdi: 10 MiB, 10485760 bytes, 20480 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x4857f764

Device     Boot Start   End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sdi1        2048 20479   18432   9M 83 Linux

why would fdisk show a (wrong) value different from that (correct) given by df ?

If as I suspect that is linked to udev being buggered up, is there a way to
delete all the data udev has accumulated over the years about all the units
that were connected to the box, and start clean again ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                               E Pluribus Unix