Quoting Adam Borowski (kilob...@angband.pl):

> Support in filesystem varies:
> * ext{2,3,4}, xfs, btrfs, reiserfs, f2fs, ..., do
> * tmpfs doesn't
> * vfat doesn't on Linux but (reportedly) does on Windows
> * ntfs does

> Usually you can mount -o nouser_xattr, which is wrongly documented as being
> reiserfs specific (which shows how widespread knowledge of this is...); alas
> this doesn't include btrfs which doesn't support nouser_xattr.  I guess
> someone should implement it...

Also, tune2fs can disable the option inside the filesystem for ext{2,3,4},
e.g.:

tune2fs -O ^user_xattr /dev/sda1

There's also as you say, a nouser_xattr option for mount(8) that works
for some FSes.

For XFS and JFS, I see no facility for disabling it either using tune2fs
analogues (e.g., xfs_admin) or as mount(8) options.

reiserfs, SRSLY?  ;->  man mount(8) mentions a user_xttr option but
one to disable it is not mentioned in the manpage I examined.

btrfs, no clue, sorry.