On 04/27/2018 02:23 AM, Steve Litt wrote:
[snip]
> Not mentioned is which WM/DE is being used. Some WM/DEs are a crash
> waiting to happen. Why not temporarily use LXDE, and see whether that
> effects the frequency of the hang. If so, determine what about your
> former WM/DE was causing the problem.
>
> I'd just be careful about reducing focus too early, or the root cause
> might escape you for a long, long time.
[snip]
Ok.  Thanks everyone, especially Steve.  Sorry for the protracted saga.

I redid the RAM test which looked initially like a lead but the recent
versions of multi-threaded Memtest86+ fail on several models of
computers, including the one I have as I found out.  So the RAM turns
out to be OK based on the single-threaded tests.  I've tried both video
drivers for Nvidia.  Then I tried the Live Ubuntu 18.04 image and had no
problems with memory getting eaten for no reason.  So I installed Ubuntu
for a while and it worked, so I then reinstalled Devuan Ascii but with
LxQt and MATE instead of XFCE, neither seem to give any problem with
RAM.  The nasty nouveau driver had no problems on the fresh install, so
I have now also tried the nasty nvidia-bin driver.  Both leave a lot to
be desired but both behave as far as RAM consumption goes.  I have that
set up now running close to 48 hours and the RAM usage goes up and down
in proportion to the processes active, not just up and up and up.

tldr; it looks like the problem might have been XFCE itself