On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 01:24:01PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

[cut]

> I´d like to switch over my backup VM first and wonder whether the
> network device with Devuan ASCII will be called "eth0" again. Thats
> totally fine with me, however I´d like to know before hand, so I can

[cut]

Hi,

the default in ASCII is to use the traditional names "eth0", "wlan0"
etc. You can change it if you want.

[cut]

> > Upgrade paths from Debian Jessie, Devuan Jessie, and Debian Stretch
> > are available. Please see the instructions at:
> > https://devuan.org/os/documentation/dev1fanboy/
>
> You are still using "apt-get". With Debian Stretch and later I switched
> my habit to using the shorter, newly written "apt" command.

You'd be surpried in discovering that there are even people still
using dselect. Newly-written does not always correlate positively with
"better" :)

[cut]

> Especially I wonder about network without Network Manager, but on a
> Plasma desktop – no, I won´t switch to something else. I have the
> following scenarios for the laptop:

You can still use network-manager. It'a available in ASCII. Or wicd.

[cut]

> Another thing is audio: Similar to Network Manager I meanwhile also use
> Pulseaudio for everything. I think I had even more install and purge
> cycles with that one. It was total crap for me till about Pulseaudio 7
> or so. It is now mostly working nicely. Everything means:

Pulseaudio is still around, if you want/need it.

HTH

KatolaZ