> On 14 May 2018, at 16:33, chill...@protonmail.com wrote:
>
> Afaik openrc is compatible with the init scripts used by all packages.
> Installing it and rebooting should be enough to start using openrc. It worked
> OK for me when I tested it.

Thanks.  I just installed and rebooted.  All seems to be running fine so far.

> On 15 May 2018, at 21:23, Martin Steigerwald <mar...@lichtvoll.de> wrote:
>
> I didn´t do anything except installing openrc and rebooting.

Yeah, I did the same, and got caught in the same non-reboot issue after running
that command.  It’s a bit deceptive to not mention the lack of reboot when it
prints that vital information, especially if someone happens to run it on a
remote machine.

> On 14 May 2018, at 18:51, Steve Litt <sl...@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
>
> One property of OpenRC is it has no facility to respawn a daemon when
> the old daemon crashes. Some folks like it this way, some don't, but
> it's a fact of OpenRC. Except...
>
> There are two ways to have OpenRC respawn. Way 1 is to run the daemon
> from /etc/inittab, with the "respawn" flag. Remember, OpenRC doesn't
> have its own PID1, and traditionally uses sysvinit's PID1.
>
> Way 2 is to have OpenRC run either runit or s6 from /etc/inittab with
> "respawn", and then to put all respawnable daemons in runit or s6.
> Running either runit or s6 *as a supervisor rather than an init* is
> dead-bang easy. Since about 2010 I've been doing something similar: I
> ran daemontools on top of sysvinit, and it always worked out great for
> me.
>
> SteveT

Thanks as always for your insightful information Steve.  Much appreciated.  As
someone who knows very little about init systems, can you explain what this
respawning business is all about?  I didn’t realise the existing sysv-rc did
anything like that as I’ve never had one of the regular system daemons (or
apache2, ntp, etc.) knowingly crash on me.

Apart from being a drop-in replacement for sysv-rc, is there any noticeable
feature that I would use as a sysadmin with OpenRC?  I’ve never encountered any
boot issues or problems starting/stopping services with says-rc.  Perhaps there
are other features of init systems that people use regularly?

—Tom