Quoting wirelessd...@gmail.com (wirelessd...@gmail.com):

> I’m looking to setup some sort of directory services/network authentication
> for users on a small corporate network running Devuan Ascii. Is it
> recommended to use Kerberos+LDAP?

Heh, a bit over ten years ago, I designed a full-blown corporate single
sign-on system using OpenLDAP with self-signed SSL certs and no
Kerberos at my then-firm, using CentOS 5 stuff.  I no longer had all the
materials (because I no longer work there), but will say that getting it
right was extremely fiddly, even with all the Internet tutorials
supposedly explaining how to do it.

Because the firm had Active Directory for the Windows side of things
including Exchange Server, I first wrote up a white paper to make sure
the CTO knew he had to make an important strategic choice:  Because AD
relied on proprietary extensions to Kerberos, the firm could _either_
slave OpenLDAP servers off AD and maintain the whole directory off the
Windows side, or could create a separate schema and database entirely
within OpenLDAP for the firm's hundreds of Linux and Solaris machines
_only_ that was distinct from (did not coordinate data with) the AD
directory.  I believe there were also a couple of further alternative
involving proprietary software for Linux that attempted to bridge in
some fashion the sharing chasm.  The CTO approved the second options,
having the firm's Linux & Solaris machines participate in a single
sign-on system unconnected to AD.

Being wary of trouble, I made sure my change control documentation made
this matter clear, that this rollout would _not_ be interconnected to
AD.  Mid-morning, I sent out the announcement e-mail and started
checking in my code.  Immediately, I got an urgent directive to the
Chief Operating Officer to _stop_.  Which, of course, I did.

The COO had what apparently was a fiery discussion with the CTO,
thankfully above my paygrade, and I was directed to throw away my work
and design/test/rollout a redesign to slave OpenLDAP servers off AD, and
then authenticate signon for Linux/Solaris machines to the OpenLDAP
servers.  Just as with the earlier project, getting this right was a
little painful.  Unless things have changed a lot in ten years, expect
to spend some time at it.

> I have also taken a look at FusionDirectory and it looks relatively
> simple to use.

Looks like a nice little Web-based directory browser.  Unless I'm
missing something important, that does nothing to solve the larger
problem of setting up the underlying LDAP software, schema, and
contents.

Anyway, it's been a _long_ time since I dealt with all of that badness,
so I'm probably forgetting a lot.  This looks like a decent starting
point:  https://wiki.debian.org/LDAP/Kerberos  (except it has little to
say about AD integration).