On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 12:32:54PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:

[cut]

> Ahh, the preceding explains why G. Pape says runit level logs are
> required on *some* daemons, but not others. If the daemon already
> performs meaningful syslog() calls, there's no reason for further
> logging. The logger program is needed only for those daemons not
> already doing syslog() calls. The set of programs not doing syslog
> calls includes all my home-grown daemons: Being a longtime daemontools
> guy, I just write warnings and errors to stderr and know
> daemontools/runit/s6/perp will get them into the logs.

That's was exactly the aim of my previous question :)

> So Didier: I amend my question to this: Is logger the best log
> mechanism to get stderr into the logs, for daemons not doing their own
> syslog() calls?
>
> Which means on a lot of services don't get runit level logs at all.
> Which matches my Void Linux system, where 10 out of 71 daemons use a
> log. But some of those are pretty important:
>
> [root@mydesk sv]# ls -1dF */log
> docker/log/
> mysqld/log/
> ndhc/log/
> nmbd/log/
> ntpd/log/
> openntpd/log/
> postgresql/log/
> smbd/log/
> sndiod/log/
> socklog-unix/log/
> [root@mydesk sv]#

The fact that some daemons do not use a custom log does not mean that
they are not logging to syslog (notable examples include cron,
dhclient, sshd, and many other).

If a daemon is not doing its syslog proper calls, redirecting the
stdout and stderr to logger could make sense (but a deamon is normally
expected to close stdout and stderr as soon as it is spawned, and use
syslog() calls for logging...).

My2Cents

KatolaZ