On 7/27/19 2:52 PM, Haines Brown wrote:
I'm installing Ascii->Beowulf on a separate hard disk, but obviously
would like to make my current disk bootable as well.

But still can't install GRUB:

   # grub-install
   bash: grub-install: command not found

Since your su is acting like it's from beowulf, you should probably treat it like it is. Did you try using 'su -' instead of 'su'? If not, then using the full path should work:
  /usr/sbin/grub-install

I will run # e2fsck -p -f and then reboot and try to install Grub
again. But given the problem might be a damaged hard disk, safest
would be to concentrate on getting my system working on the new disk
before experimenting with the old to get its GRUB working.

Good plan.

To test the drive, install smartmontools (on the new system) and run 'smartctl -a /dev/sda' (or /dev/sdb, or do both.)

Incidentally, in pursuit of this problwm I encountered a site:
http://cdbug.org/file-system/linux-error-writing-read-only-file-system.php
The page title ls: "Linux Error Writing Read Only File System". A
pop-up that cannot be dismissed insisted I download a php automatic
repair utility before being able to read more of the page. What I did
read was that a reason for the error might be invalid entries in my
Windows registry. I suspected malware and ran away rather than
download the utility.

I'll bet your registry is exactly where it needs to be. (Reminds me of the guys who call me up to say my computer might have a virus.) Maybe you need better shielding on your browser. (noscript, ublock, something else?)

fsr