On 19/01/2020 21:22, Haines Brown wrote:
It been ten years since I've installed a virtual machine under Linux,
and things have changed.

I downloaded and ran VMware-Player-3.1.1-282343.x86_64.bundle to
install VMware Player with success.

Howver, I have trouble starting it. I have no desktop. Does that make
a differnce?

   $ vmplayer &
   [1] 25824
   haines@engels:~$ /usr/bin/vmplayer: line 35: 25827 Segmentation fault
   "$BINDIR"/vmware-modconfig --appname="VMware Player"
   --icon="vmware-player"

Is this a bug in the Player? Or must it be started by root?

   $ sudo vmplayer &
   [2] 25851

The second command starts a vmware process, but I gather I should
expect a VMware window to pop up.

I would like to run Windows 7 or 8 in a virtual machine. Any way to
get it cheaply?

Haines Brown

I suspect running it this way will require a desktop, I mean it is hardly likely to pop up something on a desktop that isn't there ;-)

Try reading the man page.

I should also point out that Windows 7 and 8 are both EOL.

Rowland