On 11/3/20 8:44 PM, Olaf Meeuwissen via Dng wrote:
Hi Rick,

Rick Moen writes:

Quoting g4sra via Dng (dng@lists.dyne.org):

Can anybody suggest a suitable authoritative/recursive DNSSEC
supporting name server for SOHO domain use on embedded systems.  What
I am looking for is something like dnsmasq.

dnsmasq, it should be noted, is _just_ a forwarder.  It forwards
outbound queries to one or more IP-identified recursive servers you
specify.  Those recursive servers do the actual work.

I have a dnsmasq instance that does *authorative* resolution for an
internal domain.  Anything not in that domain is forwarded to the
corporate DNS servers.  Works fine for me so I think dnsmasq can be
more than _just_ a forwarder (which is all I wanted to point out).

Personally, I really like OPNsense. It uses Unbound these days. I don't use it for everything. However, for most of my clients needs, it handles their DNS needs very well. Specifically "overrides" provide a local authority. If they need a true authoritative server, I am familiar with BIND. So BIND it is. OPNsense is a BSD. So the PID "bug", I guess, is not relevant.