On 6/8/21 5:12 pm, Andrzej Peszynski wrote:

> On 06.08.2021 06:25, Brad Campbell via Dng wrote:
>>
>> Why do you even need/want libvirt? I have several machines which run qemu
>> guests just using simple bash scripts to bring them up (and all the bash
>> script is there for is to hold the command line parameters). I like libvirt
>> and virt-manager for configuring and customising the guests, but at the end
>> of the day all that is is a fancy front end to qemu.
>>
> <snip>
>> If you are stripping the guts out of libvirt, why use it in the first place?
>>
> Brad, thanks a million! Learning is fun especially for a "apt install" man as
> I am.
> I am looking now at how I can simplify all this (may be stripping parts of
> QEMU too?), to keep running, and handle my configurations and resources
> binding.
> In the end, all what I need is executing in isolated ring the ELF of dozen of
> (not trusted) proxies, servers and libraries + resources balancing + isolated
> filesystems + sockets.
>
> From the other side, I think that the Type 1 hypervisor for desktop is also
> interesting thing, It's very tempting to have windowed multimachine with
> realtime switch capability.

I mostly do that and have done for over 20 years now.
My desktop is essentially a moderately powered thin client (currently a 2011
iMac27 with 2 27" thunderbolt displays running Beowulf).
On the server side :
- A Dual head windows 8 VM for Autodesk products & MS Office.
- A Dual head windows 10 VM for newer Autodesk products that won't run on
Windows 8.
- A Debian wheezy / xfce VM for a specific older version of Openoffice.
- A Windows 8 VM with a CCTV server.
- A Devuan Ascii / XFCE VM for Peer to peer.
- A Devuan Ascii headless VM for Cacti, HLI to the HVAC system and some general
development and plumbing
- Numerous VMs with specific build configurations for embedded software.

The other thing VMs are good for is tying up Scam call-center workers. "My
windows is full of viruses you say? And you can help me with that? Brilliant,
just let me sit down and start my computer up" (spins up a fresh clean windows
VM I prepared earlier)

Win4lin, bochs and sheepshaver were brilliant, then qemu came and conquered.
I can't imagine ever running Windows on the bare metal again.

Between spice and rdp, there's not much you can't do.

Brad