On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 05:12:59AM +1000, onefang wrote:
> If you mean email server as well as client, on the server side I picked
> courier, coz it supplise most of the bits, which all work well together.
> Every other email server solution means gleuing together various bits
> from different developers.

If you want to setup an e-mail server, be prepared to read
documentation carefully, and do lots of web searching. With antispam
measures like spf and dkim, the process is more complicated than when I
started running my own server in 2002.

I started out with qmail, and am on postfix for over ten years now. I
chose postfix, because I find it easy to configure, feature rich, and
because it supports sendmail milters. I did look at the courier
package, but seem to vaguely recall it didn't provide all the features
I wanted. I however use courier imap/pop3, and sqwebmail integrated
with postfix.

If all you're wanting is to move from webmail to an e-mail client,
then I use fetchmail to grab mail from my server, standard mutt to
read it in a text console, and postfix configured to send outgoing
mail to my server as smarthost. I use those three packages because
they work for me, and I haven't had the need to look for something
else.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net