On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 11:37:52AM -1000, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> It seems that my new router uses IPv6. Perhaps that means
> the ISP does so as well.

Just because a router uses IPv6, doesn't necessarily mean the ISP
supports it.

> My problem is connecting via dhcp over ethernet.  On IRC
> I was advised to try
>
> ping ff02::1%eth1

Just to make sure, the interface connected to your router is in fact
eth1, and not eth0, right?

> which fails to get a response, indicating IPv6 is not enabled in my client.

Posting the actual output might help.

> I tried setting "iface eth1 inet6 dhcp" in /etc/network/interfaces,
> then "ifup eth1".  This fails with
>
> no link-local IPv6 address for eth1

Even if your interface isn't able to configure a global IPv6 address,
it should still get a link local address starting with fe80.
Also, before modifying /etc/network/interfaces, I would advise doing
ifdown eth1, modifying the file, and then ifup eth1. Instead of inet6
dhcp, I would suggest:

iface eth1 inet6 auto

My understanding is this should use either dhcp6, or RA/NDP to
configure it.

What does the following output:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/default/disable_ipv6
cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth1/disable_ipv6

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1