Hi Joel,
redirecting back to the list.

On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 12:44:55PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Thank you for the response, Gregory.
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 03:33:01PM -0700, Gregory Nowak via Dng wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2022 at 11:37:52AM -1000, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
> > > It seems that my new router uses IPv6. Perhaps that means
> > > the ISP does so as well.
> >
> > Just because a router uses IPv6, doesn't necessarily mean the ISP
> > supports it.
>
> > > My problem is connecting via dhcp over ethernet.  On IRC
> > > I was advised to try
> > >
> > > ping ff02::1%eth1
>
> > Just to make sure, the interface connected to your router is in fact
> > eth1, and not eth0, right?
>
> Yes, it's eth1.
>
> > > which fails to get a response, indicating IPv6 is not enabled in my
> > > client.
> >
> > Posting the actual output might help.
>
> Usually ping (with no options) periodically returns a line
> with the time taken for the round trip. In this instance,
> one line beginning with PING and nothing more.
>
> > > I tried setting "iface eth1 inet6 dhcp" in /etc/network/interfaces,
> > > then "ifup eth1".  This fails with
> > >
> > > no link-local IPv6 address for eth1
> >
> > Even if your interface isn't able to configure a global IPv6 address,
> > it should still get a link local address starting with fe80.
>
> This is the problem. I don't have a link local address:
>
> $ ifconfig eth1
> eth1: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
>         ether 28:d2:44:1a:e0:ca  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
>         RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
>         RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
>         TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
>         TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0
>         device interrupt 20  memory 0xf2500000-f2520000

You don't seem to have an IPv4 address, even for obtaining a dhcp
lease. Is this what you expect? If not, then the problem would seem to
be wider in scope than just IPv6.

> > Also, before modifying /etc/network/interfaces, I would advise doing
> > ifdown eth1, modifying the file, and then ifup eth1. Instead of inet6
> > dhcp, I would suggest:
> >
> > iface eth1 inet6 auto
> >
> > My understanding is this should use either dhcp6, or RA/NDP to
> > configure it.
>
> > What does the following output:
> >
> > cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/disable_ipv6
> > cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/default/disable_ipv6
> > cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth1/disable_ipv6
>
> All zeroes.
>

> --
> Joel Roth

Do you have network-manager or the like installed which could be
trying to configure the interface on its own?

Is there anything
different in the dmesg(1) output for eth1 than for your other
interfaces?

Since ifconfig is depricated, what does:

ip address show eth1

give you?

What does:

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/eth1/autoconf

output?
Other than that, that's all I can think of at the moment.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1