aitor said on Sat, 12 Mar 2022 20:13:12 +0100

>Hi Joel,
>
>On 12/3/22 19:52, Joel Roth via Dng wrote:
>> Thank for these suggestions. I've been killing dhclient and
>> bringing down the interface, bringing it up and restarting
>> dhclient. which I think does mostly the same thing. I also
>> removed /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.wlan*
>>
>> One way forward would be to restore my system to before
>> the recent upgrade. For the moment, I'm using a wired
>> connection.
>
>Did you kill also wpa_supplicant? Try again in this order:
>
># killall dhclient wpa_supplicant
># ip addr flush dev wlan0
># ip link set wlan0 down
># ip link set wlan0 up
># /sbin/wpa_supplicant -B -iwlan0 -c wpa.conf
>
>Finally:
>
># dhclient wlan0

wpa_supplicant is touchy as hell. A finer and more robust control of it
could be gotten by running it from runit. Assuming that runit can be
installed without removing sysvinit, you could respawn runit from
/etc/inittab, you could prevent sysvinit from running wpa_supplicant,
and you can run wpa_supplicant as a respawning daemon from runit.

This could actually be the beginning of an easy and graceful transition
to runit.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2022 featured book: Making Mental Models: Advanced Edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mmm