On 2013-02-22, at 13:55, Jo Rhett <jrh...@netconsonance.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2013, at 4:04 AM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
>> at which point it's easier to fix source address validation and make THAT
>> universal. which we already know can't be done.
>
> Don't confuse "won't" with "can't". It absolutely can be done. It won't be
> done because the carriers see profit in laziness, and see no profit in
> stopping criminals.

Before everybody starts waving red flags and marching in the streets:

 - the carriers of which you speak are big companies;

 - big companies with staff who care about BCP38 have likely already deployed
it;

 - big companies with non-trivial networks who have yet to deploy it need a
business reason to do so, since the implementation and support costs are likely
enough to be significant that there's probably no room under the radar to do it
there;

 - companies have a responsibility to their shareholders to act according to a
profit motive;

 - there is no profit motive in "increase my costs so that I can decrease the
costs of my competitors."

If you can describe BCP38 deployment in a non-trivial network such that
deployment is to the benefit of shareholders and non-deployment is not, I'm all
ears. Absent regulation and punitive fines for non-compliance, I don't see it.

If there's a logical or practical fallacy in here, someone please point it out.
(As if I have to type that.)

Joe