> On Oct 11, 2019, at 2:21 PM, Paul Vixie <p...@redbarn.org> wrote:
>
> i think there are 13 names each having an A and an AAAA. so, 26 candidate
> addresses. most resolvers will try them all and home in on the one with the
> lowest RTT. if one of the 13 it tries via IPv6 doesn't answer, it won't
> affect operations. in fact, one or more are unreachable from random places
> almost always, and the system is designed with that in mind. (for example,
> the use of UDP means unreliability is in-scope.)

Fair enough, and I don't have much "standing" in this case,
my server prefers IPv4, and I have a slave copy of both the
root and arpa zones...

I still feel (on behalf of others) that the situation is
unfortunate, though of course by no means dire.

There are likely more noticeable consequences for some users
than C-root unreachability, where the work-around isn't just
an occasional rare short lookup delay.

--
        Viktor.