On 22-Apr-2015 07:25 pm, Phillip Hallam-Baker <i...@hallambaker.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 6:24 PM, Ted Hardie <ted.i...@gmail.com
> <mailto:ted.i...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 10:15 AM, <emoji_u1f513.png>Dan Wing <dw...@cisco.com
> <mailto:dw...@cisco.com>> wrote:
> During the DPRIVE meeting in Dallas, several questions came up about UDP
> versus TCP.  We had previously submitted a "DNS over DTLS" document which
> predated DPRIVE.  We re-submitted the document with a few edits and a
> filename that makes it easier to find,
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-dprive-dnsodtls
> <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wing-dprive-dnsodtls>, diffs at
> https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-wing-dnsop-dnsodtls-01&url2=draft-wing-dprive-dnsodtls-00
>
> <https://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=draft-wing-dnsop-dnsodtls-01&url2=draft-wing-dprive-dnsodtls-00>
>
> The working group may want to consider the advantages of DNS over DTLS over
> UDP compared to using TCP:
>
>  * No reliance on operating system support of TCP Fast Open [RFC7413] to
> achieve same number of round trips.
>  * Avoidance of TCP's network head of line blocking.
>

> ​Just to confirm my understanding, with DTLS plus anycast, you'd have similar
> issues for restart as TCP (state being associated with a single endpoint,
> timeout required for flushing state).  Is that your thinking as well?​
>
> regards,
>
> Ted
>
> I am not an expert on DTLS but that was the concern that made me avoid using
> it. I want a completely stateless resolver, not just UDP.
>
> That means using either a very fast ECC scheme for authentication or some
> sort of kerberos ticket.

I believe "Transport Layer Security (TLS) Session Resumption without
Server-Side State", https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5077
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5077> solves that problem.  It works with TLS
and with DTLS.

> There are TLS features that may be sufficient but I worry about the number of
> framing bytes.

The DTLS 1.2 record format has 13 bytes of framing,
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6347#page-26
<https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6347#page-26>.  Content Type is 8 bits and
version is 16 bits.

      struct {
        ContentType type;
        ProtocolVersion version;
        uint16 epoch;                                     // New field
        uint48 sequence_number;                           // New field
        uint16 length;
        select (CipherSpec.cipher_type) {
          case block:  GenericBlockCipher;
          case aead:   GenericAEADCipher;                 // New field
        } fragment;
      } DTLSCiphertext;

TLS 1.2 has 5 bytes of framing (because it doesn't have the epoch and
sequence_number).

-d