On Sun, 26 Apr 2015, Watson Ladd wrote:

If what we end up with is doing the same crypto operations as
DNSCrypt, but with the extra complexity of managing connections
(opening, closing, resuming, etc), what is the advantage?

I've said this before......

My understanding of dnscrypt is that it is just a static preconfigured
VPN using some custom way of sending an X.509 certificate over TXT
records, using some adhoc headers thrown in. The closest thing to a
specification I can find is:

https://github.com/jedisct1/dnscrypt-proxy/blob/master/TECHNOTES

which states:

        One or more TXT records are returned, each containing a signed
        certificate.
        The provider public key is only used to verify a certificate, never for
        authenticating/encrypting queries.
        Certificates have the following header:
        - 4 byte magic header DNSC
        - 2 byte major version
        - 2 byte minor version
        Followed by signed content (the signature adds 512 bits to the payload):
        - server 256-bit public key
        - 8 byte magic header to use for queries using this specific key
        - 4 byte serial number
        - 4 + 4 byte validity period (two timestamps)

I'm unsure why we need a new way to authenticate that shoves certs in
adhoc TXT recods. Why not use TLS on some other port, even if we then
later to DNS on port 53 with whatever dnscrypt magic? If this is a
really cool way of doing things (which I don't think it is) than we
should not be using TXT records but a new RRTYPE.

It also seems rather hardcoded with odd values, very un-agile and
centered on The One True Encryption Protocol.

And dnscrypt is then topped of with:

        This is the current structure of the second version of the protocol.
        Don't assume anything about its length, it is very likely to change
        after a version bump.

So the designers have no idea if they are going to completely rewrite
this. Does not sound like it is anywhere near ready for standardization.

Which is why dnscrypt is not a real contender and we should steer this
discussion back to the 3 considered proposals.

We know that approaches similar to DNSCrypt don't have these problems.

So this seems to be a statement that cannot be translated into technical
terms. What is this "similar approach" that is missing from the other
proposals that supposedly makes dnscrypt so much different and better?

In fact, I see nothing that makes dnscrypt any better that using a
preconfigured X.509 based IPsec VPN possibly limited to udp/tcp 53
traffic selectors.

dnscrypt might be a nice hack to solve a short term issue in light of
hostile and/or never-upgraded networks with some success of bypassing
the network administrator restrictions. But it is not an architecture
for future deployment.

Paul