> On 29 Jul 2015, at 13:28, Alexander Mayrhofer <alexander.mayrho...@nic.at>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm working through my notes from the DPRIVE session regarding the EDNS0
> Padding option. My takeaway was as follows:
>
> - Generally, this seems to be a reasonable idea

I support this draft and would like to see it move forward.

> On 29 Jul 2015, at 17:23, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <d...@fifthhorseman.net> wrote:
>
>>> - Besides the use to evade size-based message correlation, this could
>>> also be useful in other cases, eg. "proof of work" for clients when
>>> requesting larger packets (Peter K.)
>>
>> This is possibly a bad idea. In the IPsecME WG, we have had an active
>> work item on proof-of-work for clients to prevent DDoS, with lots of
>> good discussion on how to do it, and we're probably going to only leave
>> it as an Experimental document. In summary, adding proof-of-work hurts
>> the group you care most about, namely clients on small machines.
>
> I agree with Paul here that conflating padding with proof-of-work seems
> like a bad idea.

+1

> On 29 Jul 2015, at 19:06, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farr...@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>
> On 29/07/15 19:00, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> On 29 Jul 2015, at 10:48, Stephen Farrell wrote:
>>
>> We are not defining an API, so there is no way for the application layer
>> to know what it is running under.
>
> Eh? There may be some implementations like that but I'd be very
> surprised if, when dprive is done, most implementations don't have
> an is_doing_dprive() call they can make use of in application
> layer code.

I don’t see this as a problem either. There is already coupling between the
transport and the content of the DNS message (TC=1) and other EDNS0 options are
transport dependent (STARTTLS, edns-tcp-keepalive).

> On 29 Jul 2015, at 15:12, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoff...@vpnc.org> wrote:
>
>> But we don't actually have a centre of expertise about effective
>> padding so I can see why you suggest CFRG. Ideas as to how to try
>> foster/create such a thing would be welcome. Mostly I think the
>> hard part there will be to attract the few folks who know about
>> this topic and are willing to work on it openly.
>
> Agree. However, we are not in a rush on this (we haven't even agreed on TLS /
> DTLS), so having the discussion about where to pad before we blindly start
> padding in DNS.

But…  we do have running DNS-over-TLS code that we could improve today with
padding. We do have operators interested in deploying DNS-over-TLS services. I
think a good way to gather data on padding is to implement this option, but
possibly with the ‘use with caution’ caveat suggested.

Sara.