W dniu 22.10.2015 o 13:44, Wiley, Glen pisze:
> This is an interesting idea, a few comments:
>
> 1. In section 2 it sounds as though you are suggesting that the new RR
> containing the encryption key needs to be published in the parent zone.
> Why not publish this as a RR at the apex of the zone with whose name
> servers you want to encrypt?  The advantage to putting encryption keys in
> the zone rather than the parent is that you create less work for
> registrars who already seem to really struggle with providing a way to
> publish DS/DNSKEY records.
Because that would require an unencrypted query to the zone NS to get
the zone key - and that would be a huge leak of information (as an
attacker would know that a victim is looking for something in
wikileaks.org, probably www.wikileaks.org). I know that putting the keys
at the delegation point is going to be much harder to implement in real
world but as an alternative is compromising privacy - it's the only
proper way.

> 2. The fallback to reverse DNS takes an optimistic view of reverse DNS.
> Most hosting providers will not grant permission to customers to publish
> in the reverse DNS for net blocks that they manage.
This approach is mostly for recursive servers - and those as mostly
managed by owners of the net block. An alternative for recursive servers
is a hardcoded key in eg. /etc/resolv.conf.
The question if this should be a fallback for auth servers is open for
discussion, I've already heard voices that it's not a good idea and I'm
not insisting on it.

> 4. Section 3.1.1 specifies an applicable NS name.  It is not clear to me
> why I would want this field.  Wouldn't it be more consistent with the
> current mode of operation of the DNS to determine this using the DNS
> hierarchy?  A zone operator would publish an NSK at the owner name for the
> NS to which it applies.
My goal was to allow two different keysets for a domain in case its
nameservers are operated by different entities, so that domain owner
doesn't have to share his keys with SNS (and so that a SNS can use small
amount of keys, and not different key for every domain it hosts), eg:

example.com IN NS ns1.provider1.com
example.com IN NS ns2.provider1.com
example.com IN NS ns.provider2.com
example.com IN NSK ... *.provider1.com ...
example.com IN NSK ... *.provider2.com ...

> 5. I would recommend choosing a different name for the new RR as Name
> Server Key could create confusion to folks learning about the various key
> records in the DNS.  What about something like NSENCK - Name Server
> Encryption Key?
I'm open to propositions, I had an opinion that DNSENC is to similiar to
DNSSEC so I've changed the name to DNSCRYPT just to get a message that
it is already commonly used so I'm back to DNSENC.

> 6. Failure modes could use some attention.  It would be useful to
> distinguish cases where a decrypt fails due to a wrong key versus a format
> error, unsupported encryption scheme , etc.
Agree, that's an early version of draft and I was focused mostly on
describing the general idea, not getting into details.

Witold Kręcicki