Hi dkg,

On 12/10/18 9:55 AM, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> On Wed 2018-12-05 10:35:20 -0500, Brian Haberman wrote:
>> I think it would be quite useful if someone were to explore the use of
>> message layer security in the context of DNS. That could be one of the
>> ones you listed above or it could be the work in MLS. Or even Double
>> Ratchet.
>>
>> If any of these helped reduce the potential state management problem for
>> DNS authoritative servers, that would be a major benefit IMO.
>
> It's not clear to me that MLS has significantly less state to manage
> than TLS 1.3.  Indeed, it might require *more* state management.  Can
> you point to information that suggests there is less of a burden of
> state for MLS implementations? Is statefulness the main concern you're
> trying to address?

State management has been a common theme for some people's concerns. At
this time, I don't think we have a solid view on whether state is the
highest priority, but it certainly gets a lot of attention.

As for MLS, I think the quick exchange with Paul W. has led to MLS not
looking like a good fit. I mentioned it for completeness when message
layer security was raised.

Regards,
Brian