Hi Eric,

I mostly agree with your analysis (other than maybe we'd
be better off to more precisely distinguish https vs. tls,
as we figure this out.

Just one clarification:

On 02/11/2019 19:58, Eric Rescorla wrote:

>> ISTM that requiring day-1 defence against active attacks was to an
>> extent responsible for the lack of deployment
>> of IPsec and DNSSEC,
>
> I don't understand what DNSSEC would do if not defend against active
> attack.

What I meant was that the dependency on the parent for
DNSSEC was driven by that requirement for preventing
active attacks on day-1, but the dependency on the parent
making changes has also been a serious obstacle to
deployment.

In contrast, things like dkim, dmarc and mta-sts come
with testing modes and reporting, which I think helps
deployment.

What I'm asking is that we consider those kinds of
make-deployment-easier features as well when figuring
out adot (regardless of whether or not we end up with
an opportunistic approach).

Cheers,
S.