On Fri, 2020-05-29 at 11:31 -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:

> Note for DNSKEY algorithm, we could use 253 or 254:
>
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4034#appendix-A.1.1
>
> DNS software might already support ignoring these algorithms without
> adding too much noise to the DNSSEC validation process of having
> "wrong" DNSKEY's.

PowerDNS does nothing specific for those numbers. A quick grep of the Unbound
codebase suggests the same there.

I wouldn't expect any noise from unknown algorithms - have you seen otherwise?

Furthermore, 253 and 254 are specifically targeted at
people/organisations/groups that do not want/cannot afford/... an IANA
registration. In other words, people that don't want to go through the RFC
process. I don't think that's the path we want to be going down here :)

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk