On Fri, 2020-08-07 at 19:12 -0700, Rob Sayre wrote:
> The issue is that connection establishment will be expensive, which is
> something separate from getting a bunch of queries. As others have pointed
> out, this cost will be amortized to almost nothing most of the time. After an
> outage, this connection establishment cost will have to be dealt with in
> parallel.
>
> I don't have an opinion on whether this should be implementation guidance, or
> even in the spec.

In the DS pinning draft, we explicitly decided to leave this out of scope, as
we wouldn't want to prescribe resolver behaviour for other discovery methods
(such as opportunistic). Sensible handling of connection establishment and
pooling feels like a separate topic to me, so I don't think it should be part
of any discovery document. I am unsure it should be an IETF spec at all.

Kind regards,
--
Peter van Dijk