On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 2:44 PM Bill Woodcock <wo...@pch.net> wrote:

> > On Mar 31, 2021, at 11:39 PM, Rob Sayre <say...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think it's fine if you don't want to implement any given IETF RFC.
>
> Then those RFCs should be worded carefully so that they don’t suggest that
> the thing they’re proposing is generally applicable.  Particularly to the
> roots.  Which are actual critical infrastructure.

I think the IETF as a whole would get consensus on that issue.

> > Your business might be different--you know best there.
>
> Since when are root servers a “business?”

Look, this is just needlessly combative. There are plenty of senses of the
word that don't mean what you are implying here.

> We’re talking about critical infrastructure that everyone depends on.  Not
> some random person’s “business” that can fail or not fail.  This isn’t a
> place for pointless thrashing around as a byproduct of someone’s unrelated
> agenda.  Which was, I think, the point of the statement.

Plenty of people come to the IETF from different perspectives. I don't
consider DNSSEC to be critical, but I know some people do. That doesn't
upset me, or force me to implement it.

thanks,
Rob